Public Works/Street Department

Street Cut Permits

To obtain a Street Cut Permit or for information on Street Cuts please contact:
(775) 777-7241
(775) 777-7249


The City of Elko has a Street Cut Permit program that has been adopted by the Elko City Council. A Street Cut Permit is required for all excavation work that is to be within the City of Elko street rights-of-way.

Persons interested in excavating within street rights-of-way or determining whether or not they are in the right-of-way should contact the numbers listed above for detailed information. General information is listed as follows:

Owner/Contractor responsible for:

  • Obtain a Street Cut Permit from the Public Works Department at City Hall.
  • Complete and submit Street Cut Permit with applicable fees to Public Works Department at City Hall. Submittal shall include a traffic control plan.
  • Mark area of excavation in white and then call a minimum of 48 hours prior to any excavation the Underground Service Alert (USA Dig) at 1-800-227-2600. This will allow utility companies to mark the area of excavation for possible exiting utilities.
  • Notify Elko Central Dispatch of any road/street closures at (775) 777-7300 prior to any closure.
  • Place traffic control devices in place prior to any excavations.
  • Proceed with excavation, installation of facilities or make repairs, backfill trench and have authorized testing firm verify compaction materials and density. In areas where there may be sidewalk, curb, gutter or other existing public improvements the owner/contractor shall be responsible for the labor, equipment and material costs for repairs. The City of Elko will only be responsible for the asphalt pavement repairs. All work and materials used for trench excavation and backfill shall be performed in conformance with Standard Details and Specifications for Public Works Construction (Orange Book). A list of authorized testing firms and Orange Book requirements are available from Public Works Department at time of application. Inspection and Compaction test forms (provided by the City) must then be submitted to the City of Elko Public Works Department at City Hall and notification that all the required work has been completed.

The City of Elko Public Works Department will then perform a field measurement of the excavation area for calculating the asphalt pavement trench area for determining final fees. Subject to final fee assessment a reimbursement will be provided or an additional fee payment will be required.

At the time of application, a determination will be made as to any unique details and the scope of work to be performed. Also, if the excavation is to be in a street that is less than five (5) years old it will be necessary for the applicant to petition the City Council for approval of the work.

In the case of a bona-fide emergency work will be performed and then a street cut permit must then be completed and fees paid during the next regular City business day (Monday-Friday except Holidays).